[RC5] Something dnetc needs

John Campbell jcampbel at lynn.ci-n.com
Wed Mar 20 14:55:40 EST 2002

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Stephen Garrison wrote:

> He has stated that it would be perfectly acceptable for him to run a
> program on the machine so long as it only consumes upto 30% load or 30
> minutes of time at 100% load. So if we, or dnet, can find a way to make
> the client only run at 30% instead of 100%, he is allowed to run the
> program. It appears that he wants to run the program within the spirit of
> the rule (ie not running for programs with different names or under 3 of
> his friends accounts). So, <30% would be fine, and it would be 30% that
> would be going to waste anyways (not counting the cost of electricity
> which we have had many discussions about) if it is running as an idle
> process.

	First the cheap technical solution:

	Set up dnetc as usual, but with the "Halt while running" process set
to "dnetc-off".

	Then write a pair of trivial programs called "dnetc-on" and
"dnetc-off", that consist of nothing but a "sleep(25);" and "sleep(75);",
respectively. Write a little shell script that calls each of these in turn
in an endless loop. Then you start your shell script, start dnetc, and let
"Halt while running" take care of the rest.

	That'll cause dnetc to run at a 25% (giving a little margin for
error) duty cycle on a period of a bit over a minute and a half, which
should be short enough to look like a constant 25% load to the monitors (I
believe you mentioned five-minute checks).

	The better, non-technical solution would be to recruit the admins...
show them that dnetc doesn't impact normal usage, and convince them to let
you run the client - or to run the client on the machine (and maybe others
that you don't have access to) themselves. That would also go a long way
towards solving this problem:

> Now there might be some issues if he happens to find the key as he might
> be using university or company resources for his own gain, but I will
> leave that for another discussion.

---
John Campbell
jcampbel at lynn.ci-n.com

QotD:  The devil finds work for idle circuits to do.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net