[RC5] Service Pause Option

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Wed Mar 20 08:58:36 EST 2002

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002 12:36:17 +0100 Boris59 <boris59 at boris59.de> wrote:

> One thing I found out: Java applications (especially development
> environments) seem to suffer from a running dnet client. On
> one computer of an employee I configured the client to pause when
> running java, javaw or netide (NetBeans executable), and now the
> employee and me are both happy.

At least once, I encountered a Java Virtual Machine which
ran its "garbage collection" process at idle priority.

In my experience, applications which do not run anything at
idle priority are not interfered with by the dnet client.
But if the application has something which runs at the same
priority (idle) as the dnet client, then yes - there would
be competition for (idle) CPU cycles, and (depending on the
operating system scheduler) the application would complete
slower, or might even get "locked out" while dnetc ran.

mikus

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net