[RC5] Service Pause Option

Scott Christopher Dodson gsi22419 at gsaix2.cc.gasou.edu
Thu Mar 21 15:45:54 EST 2002

You do know that transistors have a finite life?  And there's like 90%
chance that those machines were GW2k machines in the McOwen case as that's
the largest contract the Univ system of GA has.  All of the machines we
receive here (another Ga. Univ) have passive cooling on the cpu.  I've
worked on several of them where the cpu was quite hot even after sitting
idle.  I wonder what they'd be like if they were pushed to 100% all the
time.  I think chances of failure are ramping up pretty quickly, also, if
they're anything like our lab machines the hard drives spin down after an
hour of no use.  This simply wouldn't happen if he were using the client.
His poor judgement easily could have ended the contest for
distributed.net, while leaving Georgia with a few dead machines at the
same time.

There's many things to consider here, have you looked at the Computer
Fraud and Abuse act of 1986?  Certain clauses in that act look as if he
could have ended up with 5 years in prison.  If I were him I'd consider
myself lucky, but then again I wouldn't be in his position because I don't
take what doesn't belong to me.