[RC5] Service Pause Option

stvernaillen at ge.cokecce.com stvernaillen at ge.cokecce.com
Fri Mar 22 08:52:55 EST 2002

> You can't expect encryption to compete with curing cancer when it comes
to appealing to the masses.

I'm not per se interested in encryption.
I had a look at UD when it all started.
It's client continued to crash my old PI Win'98 pc (only one I had running
Win) and 95 laptop PII ( work),it did not have a client for my linux boxes,
nor for AIX's ( work again), I did not get credit for the workunits i did
manage to return half of the time ( allthough as living in Belgium, I was
not entitled to any prizes anyway )

THAT's the reason I kept with dnet
- client for most platforms
- stable client
- client is flexible enough for most places you want to run it
- stats work ( most of the time, good enough for me :) )
- things like a perproxy

I would love it to do some more exotic stuff, ( like figuring out how to
make me rich without having to do anything)
but that comes second.I can't spend half my day
restarting/reconfiguring/whatever/... on it, It's supposed to be deploy and
forget...

Stan

                      "Jim C. Nasby"
                      <jim at nasby.net>             To:       rc5 at lists.distributed.net
                      Sent by:                    cc:
                      owner-rc5 at lists.dist        Subject:  Re: [RC5] Service Pause Option
                      ributed.net

                      21/03/2002 21:18
                      Please respond to
                      rc5

On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 05:29:29PM -0500, Scott Dodson wrote:

> How many particpants does UD have now?  They exchange information.
>
> --
> scott

A lot more than d.net, but that's not a valid comparison. You can't
expect encryption to compete with curing cancer when it comes to
appealing to the masses. d.net is very much based on geek-appeal, while
UD is not.
Jim C. Nasby (aka Decibel!)                    jim at nasby.net

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net