[RC5] Is that smoke I smell?

blitz blitz at macronet.net
Fri Mar 22 15:07:34 EST 2002

Generally they're pretty much ok, (as Ive found plenty this bad or worse)
UNTIL the fan quits.
That switching power supply (commonly referred to as the computer's space
heater) will get real hot, and start emitting a smell like burnt
electronics long before a failure happens. (Like a week or so)
In an office environment, where air is stale, and smells of office type
people, this smell is unmistakable.
Its a sure clue you will be replacing a power supply in short order. The
quality of fans is real bad these days as well. Expect a year or two out of
the el-cheapos.
I've got "rotron" muffin fans in electronic equipment here that have run
continuously for 30 years without failure or noise. But a power supply for
your desktop is produced as cheaply as possible, like $10.00 so don't
expect long life from the fan. The fan is a .50 cent add on, made by prison
slave labor in one-hung-lo Provence in China, don't expect much.
The problem is, one doesn't know how much time is left on the fan, if we
knew, we'd open the power supply and put the $10.00 "rotron" fan in, to
prevent the supply from roaching, but when one fails the power supply is
gone with it as well...a catch 22 situation.

A $10.00 fan would keep a $10.00 power supply from failing, but the labor
to change the fan exceeds the cost of a new power supply and install. So
like everyone else, we let them burn up, and make our $ changing them out
to a PS with a fan that will last even less long..I guess thats "jhob
security".