[RC5] Is that smoke I smell?

Justin Hernandez justin.hernandez at timedomain.com
Fri Mar 22 17:02:46 EST 2002

dont believe this is rc5 related,
but i had a warning sign that i did not heed

for a couple weeks i noticed that the keyboard/mouse and usb port inputs on
my motherboard were VERY hot, almost too hot to touch.  i could not remember
if they were ALWAYS like that, or just recently, so i let it slide.

mistake...
one saturday the comp was working just fine, came back in an hour, and
NOTHING.
after all normal troubleshooting, finally found the culprit...

an inductor had FRIED and melted off of the board, near the power supply.
also several caps were distended, and NOT normal

i have pics of the chaos...

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/j.hernandez2/pics/mobo1.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/j.hernandez2/pics/mobo2.jpg

fortunately i wwas able to find the same mobo froma friend, abit bx6r2, has
served me well, started as an o'clocked celery 4 years ago, nos is oclocked
pIII 800- 1 gig

valis