[RC5] Time to Start?

Bruce Wilson bwilson at distributed.net
Mon Nov 4 11:11:36 EST 2002

Our practice upon opening a new project or releasing new clients has
been as follows:

1)  Prepare as many clients/perproxies as we can for the release.  Make
the files available internally.
2)  Start the master
3)  Release the files internally (DCTI staff only)
4)  Post the files to the ftp and web sites
5)  Mention the existence of the files in #distributed
6)  Post a .plan (mailed out nightly)
7)  Post to announce@/rc5@
8)  Update the homepage, if appropriate

Notice that the lag between step 4 and step 8 can be as long as a week.
The best way to know ASAP when the project is open is to hang around
#distributed (irc.distributed.net).

Yes, we get to start the project a couple of hours before anyone else.
That's because (a) we use this time as a last-minute sanity check that
we aren't releasing a monster, and (b) perks of being on staff.
(Doesn't matter, we can't win anyway.)

No guarantees that we will do it this way again, but we probably will
because it helps us avoid a single mad rush on our website.

__

"I want to move to Theory. Everything works in Theory."
    --John Cash, id Software