[RC5] They have all our e-mails!!!

Bruce Wilson bwilson at distributed.net
Thu Nov 14 10:37:49 EST 2002

The key difference is that people on the list have opted in to receive
mail, and those who merely participate (and use an email address as an
ID) have not.

A great many participants use multiple email addresses to track
different groups of computers.  It is a waste of our time and theirs to
presumptuously email all their accounts.

In terms of "how will they know?", the answer is often based on how they
found out in the first place.  Members of a team will probably be
reminded by their team leaders, who set their own policy for contacting
their members.  If nothing else, when we load the new projects and the
old clients stop finding new work and stop connecting to the servers, we
would hope that people would notice this eventually and come to our
website to figure out why.

__

"I want to move to Theory. Everything works in Theory."
    --John Cash, id Software