[RC5] They have all our e-mails!!!

Steve Bennett me at stevage.com
Fri Nov 15 10:09:22 EST 2002

Just a sort of philosophical question: Do you think this is the long-term
solution?

That is, are ad-hoc methods of "finding out" the current status of a
distributed project the best we can manage?  To me it goes against the goal
of distributed.net (but not necessarily all distributed projects).  The idea
of d.net is to maximally employ spare cpu cycles involving minimal fuss to
the owner.  I definitely think that *by default* the client should download
new cores, as they become available, to work on what the current project is.
Naturally people will want to customise the client not take advantage of
that.  If core downloading doesn't exist, then the next best thing we can
offer people is a polite email (generated from the client as easily as not,
but again, since that's not part of the current protocol...), with a simple
link to click on to install the newest version.  Having to subscribe to
various lists and read them, or visit an IRC server, or poll a web page, or
remain in contact with people etc is *more* effort, than acting on a single
email.  Imho.

Steve