[RC5] new release candidate available.

Jason Hartzell jhartzell at arcataassoc.com
Fri Nov 15 17:27:11 EST 2002

I certainly don't want to get into, or hear anything about OS or Platform
wars. It's all pretty much a waste. I know for myself I have stats under
Netware, OS/2, BeOS, Linux, BSD, and SCO.

But based on these numbers, from previous and current 'contests':

OGR-25
Work Units Completed on Win32/Intel: 19446019052
Total Work Units Complete: 21698661292
% of total done on Wintel: 89.62%

OGR-24
Work Units Completed on Win32/Intel: 97974275
Total Work Units Complete: 135736228
% of total done on Wintel: 72.18%

RC5-64 ALL
Work Units Completed on Win32/Intel: 45356380015
Total Work Units Complete: 61250810321
% of total done on Wintel: 74.05%

CSC
Work Units Completed on Win32/Intel: 256270220
Total Work Units Complete: 358516350
% of total done on Wintel: 71.48%

I would certainly hope that the Win32/Intel client has a bit of a priority
over the Mac/Linux/Netware/OS2/BSD clients....The numbers are better than 2
to 1 in favor of Wintel over ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING ELSE PUT TOGETHER.

I'm not saying the other platforms should be ignored, not at all. If all I
had were Macs I would probably be pushing for Mac client myself, but like
ANYONE ELSE in the world developing software, it would make sense to develop
for the largest audience first.