[RC5] new release candidate available.

Jason Hartzell jhartzell at arcataassoc.com
Fri Nov 22 15:58:12 EST 2002

I was talking to a friend (and former d.net participant) about this the
other day. My thought was that RC5 project #1 and #2 should be running
concurrently. It didn't really matter if RC5 project #1 took a bit longer
just because processor time was split between the two. Remember, the purpose
of d.net is NOT to break encryption.

If RC5-72 were up and running at the time RC5-64 shut off, I doubt d.net
would have had the number of 'defectors' that they have. There simply would
not have been this great loss of processing power.

I get the impression that for quite some time, RC5-72 will NOT have the
number of participants that RC5-64 did at the end. Really, look at the
current number of OGR participants.

It wouldn't bother me one bit if RC5-80 kicked of within three or four
months of RC5-72 kicking off. If there were something in the client that
allowed me to choose which RC5 project I wanted to work on, even better. But
it would really help prevent this DEAD time that D.net is experiencing right
now.

I think even some of the 'die hard' D.net supporters will be a bit fed up if
RC5-72 takes another 8 to 10 weeks to get off the ground, and is then
followed with silence. Without a 2nd RC5 project or a shot at ECC-109 or one
of the RSA Factoring challenges.