[RC5] new release candidate available.

Steve Bennett me at stevage.com
Sun Nov 24 00:01:47 EST 2002

I agree.  Since d.net is all about not "wasting" CPU cycles, perhaps they
should do a calculation of the number of cycles "wasted" since June or
whenever that the actual key was found.  Since, due to poor administration,
bureacracy and slow development, no keys have been cracked for the RC5
projects since that date - 4 months or so ago.

Yes, we shouldn't criticise the 'volunteers'.  I was under the impression
though that since this merger, they were supposed to be more professional
than before.  In any case, you don't win friends by not informing your
members what's going on.  After all, *we* are volunteers as well!

I thought that when RC5-56 was cracked, RC5-64 started up within a week or
so?  You'd think that since they've known since August, at least, that this
competition had finished, you could modify a core from working on 64 bit
keys to working on 72 bit keys - how hard can it even be?

I don't like to be such a knocker, but after the fiasco with rc5-64, and
this latest "silence, we are working" attitude, can someone give me one good
reason why anyone would want to stay on the project?  We're all agreed that
cracking rc5-72 isn't going to prove anything we didn't know, that OGR is
boring, and that no new projects are on the horizon.  It's not even *fun*
anymore.

Steve