[RC5] new release candidate available.

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Sat Nov 23 16:07:59 EST 2002

> OGR is indeed boring.

Think about RC5-72 -- on paper it is 256 times as hard as RC5-64.
And it took YEARS for distributed.net to "solve" RC5-64, and all
that was accomplished was to decode __one__ message.  (In the
meantime, in the real world, there are millions of encoded
messages being generated!)

At least with OGR (if the software were "smart" and bug-free) the
results should allow a definite statement of where "good" rulers
are, and where they aren't.  That to me is finding "knowledge".

"Proof" that distributed computing could in practice be used for
message decoding was provided by RC5-56.   Since this ability had
now been demonstrated, I will claim that RC5-64 was a "useless"
expenditure of electricity and computing cycles.  To me, to focus
on RC5-72 is completely misguided (and might well get boring as
the years go by).

mikus

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net