[RC5] new release candidate available.

Tom Ribbens webmaster at multi-air.com
Sun Nov 24 15:43:56 EST 2002

There isn't a cycle lost at my side either, yet i find it boring. Why i find
it boring? I can't tell exactly. My personal intrests is more in the
direction of encryption i guess. What i didn't understand is that i heard
that some clients had some strange errors since they didn't have anything to
do anymore. All my clients automatically switched to OGR when they realised
RC5 was finished. How did i do that? In the preference of which projects to
do first i had RC5 before OGR, and the additional buffer checking was set on
4. What does that do? It works on a certain project as long as it has work
for it (or as long work can be fetched) and goes to the next until if it
can't find anymore work for it.
So even if i had an internet-outage during RC5-64, my clients could go on for
at least a week without needing internet (and if internet wasn't fixed in a
week i would be very mad... ;-)) since i run a perproxy, which contained for
around 4 days worth of RC5 blocks and some OGR. When i upgrade my perproxy
and clients for RC5-72, i'll set up the same setup. My priority is RC5, but
i'd rather do OGR than have any cycle wasted.

GreetZ,
Tom

Op zondag 24 november 2002 15:32, schreef Timothy Marsh:
> Polls like that will almost always be lead be complainers.  That's because
> most people don't feel moved enough to bother posting a message until they
> are upset about something.  Sure there are the people just asking an
> interesting question when things are going pretty good.  But one thing goes
> wrong and you can see that the vast majority of posts are either complaints
> or responses to complaints.
> I believe dnet is doing the best they can.  I don't think they've lost
> interest in the project, they just don't always have the time to devote to
> dnet that they would like.  As far as wasting cycles, I'm not wasting any.
> I'm happily crunching OGR.  I really don't see why everybody thinks its so
> boring.  Yeah, its a little more complicated to work with as a project, but
> on our (the cruncher) end the only difference is not knowing exactly how
> long a work unit will take.  Understanding OGR takes a little more thinking
> than the basic encryption concept.  And OGR might actually have more
> scientific value than cracking encryption or searching for some massive
> prime number.
> How many people here have even looked at the applications for OGR and why
> exactly do you all think it is so boring.
>
> Timothy

- --
Signs of crime: screaming or cries for help.
		-- The Brown University Security Crime Prevention Pamphlet

 15:37:03  up 13 days, 17:43,  2 users,  load average: 1.55, 1.21, 1.09

Outlook users: please do not put my email address in your address book. This
way, when you get infected with a virus, my address won't appear in the From:
header. Thanks.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net