[RC5] new release candidate available.

Timothy Marsh Timothy.Marsh at usm.edu
Sun Nov 24 08:42:42 EST 2002

I know the purpose of dnet is not to break encryption, but rather to advance
distributed computing.  But the purpose of the RC5 project is to crack the
code in as little time as possible, which has been seen as a way of
supporting distributed computing.  The whole point is to show how quickly it
can be done.  As someone pointed out a while back on the efficiency of
solving these types of problems, there are two important things to keep in
mind when you are trying to finish a project in a short amount of time (not
necessarily earliest).  First you should not get too distracted, focus your
work as much as possible on one project.  For a variety of reasons, dnet has
also provided OGR, but I really believe that adding two RC5 contests at the
same time would be counterproductive.  Second, wait until computing power is
powerful enough to accomplish the task in a reasonable amount of time.  You
may be thinking of this time as wasting a few months of processing time, but
if RC5 72 had been released a couple years ago, I imagine the work done on
it then would have taken a quarter of the time to do now, but the work taken
away from the 64 project would have been very significant.  Much more
significant than the work that is being "wasted" right now because people
don't like OGR.

Timothy