[RC5] OGR

stvernaillen at ge.cokecce.com stvernaillen at ge.cokecce.com
Mon Nov 25 11:59:59 EST 2002

I fully agree with Richard
It is not OGR that is boring, it is the  fact that  it is being considered
by the Dnet staff as unimportant ( compared to rc5 ) and the resulting lack
of information/decent clients/... that gives it it's "boring" feel.

Personally I can not think of anything more boring then rc-72...
x years to break 1 encoded message...not even the encryption itself...
We've proven the distributed computing concept, now use it.
On OGR we could ( if we had working clients i guess) have a definate result
every x months( I believe we have solved ogr25 over and over now  with the
buggy client?)...and it has ( i admit maybe small) scientific benefit.

The hope for a fixed OGR client is what keeps me around, if Dnet does not
intend to support it ( or does not have the time) they should just say so.
"No hard feelings, thanks for giving it a shot, too bad, bye...."
Meanwhile my laziness to look for another decent ( it has to meet some
criteria, eg not Win/linux only )project weakens....

Stan

"Richard Farmbrough"  :
OGR is not boring, it is fascinating, if you have the progress indicator up
you can see the first 10 entries in the OGR candidates your machine is
considering.  You can get some idea of how the node is progressing and
often
predict what numbers are coming up next.  RC5 all you could see is
...20%...
.
Also OGR, once the problems have been fixed (which I agree there were
communications difficulties about), will be producing a once-for-all
result.
There is only one OGR-25 problem, there are arbitrarily many RC-64
problems,
the one we solved is really no more important than any other.
I agree that _ motivation_ on OGR is a problem, because we still don't know
how far through the keyspace we are  (even with OGR-24), and which results
are valid.
Again I would like to see the new clients and stub generators tested on
(all?) OGRs less than 25 as this would take a blink of the eye in dnet
terms, and help build confidence.

 Rgds,

  Richard.

This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which
  it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential and
  privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the
  notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
  communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete
  it from your system.
Thank you

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net