[RC5] new release candidate available.

Jason Hartzell jhartzell at arcataassoc.com
Mon Nov 25 08:30:34 EST 2002

Some good points Mr. Marsh, but my view just isn't the same.

Yesterday, 6,170 people participated in OGR-25 and 7 in OGR-24. On the final
day of RC5-64, 25,739 people participated. Do you really think that the
release of RC5-72 will bring back 20,000 daily participants? Of course it
won't. Do you think, if RC5-64 and RC5-72 had been running concurrently,
that a portion of those would never have quit? How many participants were
lost just because they had OGR=0 in their ini file and they aren't going to
bother going back to change anything.

Besides, I don't agree with the notion that the 'whole point' was to prove
how quickly RC5-64 could be completed. If it were, the project was a
complete failure. The purpose was to prove that it COULD BE DONE. Period.
With that, it was not a failure. And starting the RC5-72 project sometime
after RC5-64 got to 75% or 80% of the keyspace was exhausted would have made
a lot more sense than this. Remember, we are two months past RC5-64 now...