[RC5] new release candidate available.

Gustav_Schaffter at capgroup.com Gustav_Schaffter at capgroup.com
Mon Nov 25 18:09:03 EST 2002

IMHO, the best someone could do for this project, having the time and the
will, would be to sign up as 'communications officer'.

Hanging around in the IRC channel and publishing what 'interesting'
information floats around there to this list, to the announce list, to the
web pages and any other means would be very helpful for the project in
large. Maybe even consolidating the current information channels into one
single channel.

Now, that would be an assignment for the one who has time to devote.

Gustav

                    Andrew MacKenzie
                    <andy at edespot.com>          To:     rc5 at lists.distributed.net
                    Sent by:                    cc:     help at distributed.net, (bcc: Gustav Schaffter/CDS/CG/CAPITAL)
                    owner-rc5 at lists.distr       Subject:     Re: [RC5] new release candidate available.
                    ibuted.net

                    25-11-2002 06:04 PM
                    Please respond to rc5

+++ Steve Bennett [dnet] [Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 02:46:01AM +1100]:
> I strongly disagree with your suggestion.  d.net is supposed to promote
> research into *distributed computing*.  Whether their small group of
people
> is running the projects discussed here is irrelevant.  Also, since there
is
> no (afaik) financial interest in membership numbers, I don't see the
issue.
> Perhaps more open discussion of other projects and their appeal will help
> stimulate a more interesting direction for d.net projects to take?  All
that
> will be achieved with a "shh, don't discuss X" attitude is further
hostility
> and distrust towards d.net.
"hostility" and "distrust"?  I hope nobody here feels *either* towards dnet
staff...

But I understand that people are upset with the way things are being
handled lately, and myself have been frustrated with OGR being broken, and
RC5-72 being late (not that there was a posted release time, but
expectations were 'soon') in coming out.  I think this list is a good place
to voice one's frustrations, but to convince people to stop participating
in dnet I feel is rude (seeing that dnet runs this list).  It's ones right
to be rude, but it's rude none-the-less.  Just my opinion I suppose.

As an aside, I am a pretty decent developer, and may be willing to assist
dnet with some issues.  But I have no idea what sort of programming skills
are required at the moment (x86 assem?  OGR knowlege?  Mac Programming?).

Perhaps a list of what type of help is currently "in demand" on the dnet
site or to this list (frequently) would helpp garner more developers to
help?

--
// Andrew MacKenzie  |  http://www.edespot.com
// "Just once, I'd like someone to call me 'Sir' without adding 'you're