[RC5] new release candidate available.

Christopher Hicks chicks at chicks.net
Mon Nov 25 12:09:53 EST 2002

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, Jason Hartzell wrote:

> 2. WHY? Could someone please explain to me WHY people assume that RC5-72
> will exhaust the same percentage of key space as RC5-64 did? Or even
> CSC? It's just not reasonable to assume that RC5-72 will have to go
> through 90% of the keyspace. Yes, it's a possibility. No, it's not
> likely.

1 in 10 may mathematically meet the definition of "not likely", but it
isn't /that/ unlikely in terms of likelihoods humans deal with just
crossing the street.  Working on the basis of assuming we'll need to
complete 50%-90% before we're "done" merely puts our guesstimates in the
realm of where we're not being overly hopeful.  RC5-72 may be done on the
first day, but I'd be much less disgruntled if I expected it to take a few
years.  Remember, Murphy would have loved computers.

--
</chris>

Programming is a Dark Art, and it will always be. The programmer is
fighting against the two most destructive forces in the universe:
entropy and human stupidity. They're not things you can always
overcome with a "methodology" or on a schedule.
		-Damian Conway, Perl God

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net