[RC5] Links to other projects (was: new release candidate available.)

Blain Nelson blainn13 at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 25 19:05:56 EST 2002

Horst Henschen wrote:

> In the end they all have their good and bad side.
> Just choose the one that fits to you.

A week or so ago I checked out folding at home.  There was a nice article
on /. about some benchmarking done that showed that the f at h client
didn't affect performance noticeably, so I figured I'd take a shot.
It's not quite as nicely packaged as d.net, and I would prefer something
with a little more feedback as we go (I'm running the console-only
version under WinME), but it hasn't been all that bad.  One thing they
don't make all that clear is that you want to move the downloaded file
to the place you want to run it from, because it makes and downloads all
the other files it needs based on that location (unless you want to
tweak config files).

So I'm running it along with OGR, and doing everything else I'm doing,
and it doesn't seem to be causing any problems -- Mozilla still crashes
about as often as it used to.

Speaking just for me, I ran RC5 for my shot at the money, and because I
thought distributed computing was cool.  I don't see much value in
spending all those cycles to decrypt one hunk of text, so I'm not sure
how much I'm going to do with RC5-72.  For now, running OGR and F at H
works for me.  These distributed projects aren't really competing IMO --
they're all trying to make something of value out of something otherwise
wasted (and some extra electricity).  Working on several of them isn't
any disloyalty to any of them.

> Just my 2 cents...
> Horst

Take care,