[RC5] Length of contests

Richard Farmbrough Richard.Farmbrough at telewest.co.uk
Tue Oct 1 18:15:56 EDT 2002

While this may not apply to dnet since we use otherwise unused resources, I
am sure I remember reading a research paper that suggested any
computationally intensive program taking more than time T (18 months (?))
with a given budget X was better left until the technology advanced to the
point that X would buy enough processing power to complete in time T.
Better in this context means completing the calculation earlier.

Live Life in Broadband
www.telewest.co.uk

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.
Statements and opinions expressed in this e-mail may not represent those of the company. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete the material from any computer.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net