[RC5] Length of contests

John Campbell jcampbel at lynn.ci-n.com
Tue Oct 1 16:41:13 EDT 2002

On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Adrian Neill wrote:

> Yep your correct this doesn't apply to dnet at all because the equipment
> upgrades itself automatically at no cost to the project budget.
> Every bit of computation done between now and the time when it would take
> less than 18 months to complete makes the project end in 18months - X
> percent completed. Since there is no cost other than the web hosting
> (afaik) all projects using the dnet model should be started as soon as
> technically possible.

	It depends what you're trying to prove. If you're just trying to get
the project done as soon as possible, the only advantage to waiting is
cost-effectiveness, which doesn't really apply to d.net-style projects. If
what you're trying to do is get the project done as *quickly* as possible -
minimum time from start to end, but not necessarily the earliest possible
end date - then it's to your benefit to wait until faster processors are
available.

	OGR falls into the former category, DES into the latter. RC5 is
somewhere in between... we want to prove that it can be easily broken, which
means quickest possible crack, but we want to prove it fairly soon. Adding a
year to the cracking time is worthwhile if it can cut a year off the end
date... maybe. The exact exchange rate there is kind of fuzzy.

---
John Campbell
jcampbel at lynn.ci-n.com

QotD:  No problem is so formidable that you can't just walk away from it.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net