[RC5] OGR Initiation

Timothy Marsh Timothy.Marsh at usm.edu
Tue Oct 1 17:51:37 EDT 2002

    As best as I have understood it, the OGR "workspace" has branches in it
like a tree as opposed to the linear workspace of RC5.  To identify a
specific work unit, the keyserver must snip a branch off the tree so to
speak.  These snipped branches are known as stubs (appropriately enough).
The smalles unit of work is the node (comparable to a key in RC5).  Each
branch-point in the "nodespace" is denoted by a number, so each stub can be
named by the numbers of the branchpoints used to get to it in the main
nodespace.  The nodepath after the plus is just like the one before, except
that it is denoting branch points within the work unit you are currently
working on.  In this way you can see where your stub fits into the primary
tree and where in the stub are you currently working.  The last number just
gives you an idea of how much work you've done in this stub.  This last
number can be changed in the config to show your current rate instead if you
like.
    One drawback to this type of branched space is that there is no way to
know in advance exactly how big each branch is.  Only the average branch
size can be estimated before the stub has actually been processed.  This is
why there is no feasible way of seeing a percentage completion of the work
you have done on the stub or the work done for the entire project.  I
believe the best that is possible is to show the percentage of stubs
complete, since the number of stubs is known, to give a rough estimate of
the percentage completion of the project.
    Sorry for the lengthy message.  This may not be entirely right, but I
think it is pretty close to accurate.  Hope this answers your questions.