[RC5] Fragmentation

Richard Farmbrough Richard.Farmbrough at telewest.co.uk
Wed Oct 2 17:49:49 EDT 2002

Hence "apart from randoms"

-----Original Message-----
From: waldo kitty [mailto:wkitty42 at alltel.net]

you are forgetting that the client picks its own random to work on...
the keyserver doesn't know about it until the client sends it in as
completed... imagine what a mess it could be if the keyserver refused
blocks that it hadn't allocated...

Richard Farmbrough wrote:

> Hi Bruce,
>         This is smething I never understood. Clearly randoms cause(d)
> fragmentation, however if multiple requests for a 2^28 are all served out
of
> the same 2^32, before a new one is started (per keyserver), then requested
> randoms will actually help to mop up existing fragmented blocks more often
> than not.  Hence apart from randoms there should never be more than 4
> fragmented 2^32 blocks per keyserver.

Live Life in Broadband
www.telewest.co.uk

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.
Statements and opinions expressed in this e-mail may not represent those of the company. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete the material from any computer.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net