[RC5] client versions - AIX

James Spinks james at angelos.ftech.co.uk
Wed Oct 2 18:25:40 EDT 2002

Quoting Blain Nelson <blainn13 at earthlink.net>:

> The problem with taking a week is that, if your system crashes in that week,
> you lose the whole block.
> My P90 took huge amounts of time to do OGR-25 blocks, and would crash before
> they were done semi-
> consistently.

Checkpoints?  (config -> 2, 4, checkpoint.rc5)

> I recognize there are features which can mitigate this somewhat, but point it
> out as another problem
> with work units that take too much time.

They pretty much solve it to be honest.  Mitigate is a harsh way to describe it.
 The checkpoint file is written to at regular intervals and as long as you don't
share checkpoint files or change your client revision you can pick up from
pretty much exactly where you left off when your machine went belly-up.  (I use
checkpoint files on even my most stable machines - I just hate waste).

--
James Spinks
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net