[RC5] OGR motivations/achievements in general

Steve Bennett me at stevage.com
Fri Oct 4 13:09:05 EDT 2002

Hi all,
  The answers to my questions are probably available 'somewhere' but I'll
ask here anyway.  Basically: how important is what we're doing here with
OGR?  According to the link on the Dnet OGR page
(http://www.research.ibm.com/people/s/shearer/grtab.html) there already
exists some kind of 'good' solution for the first 150 golomb rulers.  In the
two years that Dnet has been working on the problem, it would seem that
we've either verified that the previous best 24 was the best (or possibly
improved it? not sure), and have started searching for the best 25.  It just
seems, in relation to the number of rulers to be found (infinite, of which
at least a hundred or more might be useful), that what we could reasonably
expect to achieve in the next decade or so might at best be described as
"inconsequential".  Is this why people are complaining about not wanting to
do OGR25?  Because it uses unused computer time to do something useless?

I would welcome any flaws in my information or argument being pointed out...

Steve

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net