[RC5] Clients still working on old contests Was Re: FW: Why not use smaller packets? Was: RE: [RC5] client versions -AIX

Bruce Wilson bwilson at distributed.net
Fri Oct 4 19:02:49 EDT 2002

No, we have no way of tracing back the machines submitting RC5-56 and
DES work.  This work is submitted on a completely different TCP port
(2056) than our current network (2064) and the port we'll be using with
the RC5-72-capable clients (2072 - see the pattern?).  To reduce the
load on our servers, we simply block the old port.  It may not be the
most graceful way to handle the problem, but it is simple and effective.

__

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.