Kids was Re: [RC5] OGR motivations/achievements in general

Jack Beglinger jackb at guppy.us
Sat Oct 5 10:38:57 EDT 2002

> > 9 yr old, 3 yr old, 18 months....  The 9yr shares computer/office space with
> > dad - leaves the main gates open to run back and forth, the 3yr releases the
> > 18 months from play area by lifting side - 3 wants to play with 18. and
> > together the come giggling into the computer area... fun in sues.
>
> Just wait until you start pulling french fries, used band-aids, etc. from
> your floppy disk drive.  (Or have you already been through that with the
> oldest one?

So far none.  But the 9yr did get her first machine when she was 2.  (the 3yr
has been on-line web cruising, pbskids.org only!, for over a 1 1/2 years now.)

On day one with her new machine, she burnt out the power supply.  Made
the machine so she could turn all the needed equipment (speaker, computer,
cd-rom drive) on and off by turning the monitor on and off, via a switching
power strip. Little did I think, that kind of power would go to her head...  She
starts to click the screen on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off, the computer was
getting basically half powered - and the power supply trying to keep up...
start to smoke and then fried.  She used the machine for a whole 2 minutes.

Current wee-ones machine is on 7x24 and located behind a wall from little
hands.  The CD tower I got for $50 from a library auction holds a collection of
25 titles for their enjoyment... but it is dad's machines with flashing lights
when you press a button that makes them the most happy.
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net