[RC5] OGR motivations/achievements in general

Jack Beglinger jackb at guppy.us
Sat Oct 5 13:58:48 EDT 2002

> I think the post from Bruce Wilson clearly explains why this isn't
> feasible.

Bruce wrote why with the method they are using it is not feasible.

Why is the method they are using even right any more?

The increasing the size of the blocks is because of their server issues.  Not
for the good of project.  Maybe by using a little different methods you get
a better system?  We are a distributed system -- so may be distribute the
work load.

So why not?  What would it take?  Large systems, better use of existing
resources? Better use of client resources?

These are what is not being answered.  Instead we get we can't. we don't
do that way. it's in secure.

Not answer showing true thought about it.  Three years ago the questions
were asked of us about development directions projects and like... see:

http://www.distributed.net/nextgen/
{PRIVATE}{PRIVATE "TYPE=PICT;ALT=The fastest computer on Earth."}
Notice the title: Distributed.net, The Largest Computer on Earth:  Next
Generation Suggestions.

That was three years ago talking about the V3 client.  Well, it is still the
v2.8 client.

> You may want to remember dnet is a volunteer organization.  If your
ideas are
> well suited to dnet, and logical, feasible, and reasonable, why not join up
> and help implement them?

Once the drop they NDA requirement.

> The noise coming from you is annoying.  You complain about this, and
> that.
> You refuse to read valid replies to things you suggest, and are dead set
> against being wrong.  It's as simple as this,   Help out, or shut up.

I read even one.  It been the same reply for two multiple years.  Tech has
changed, system have changed but DNET can't for the same reasons I get
from local programmers that are entrenched with their past or sys admins
who keep fixing the problem over and over but never fix the issue.

> I've not seen a single post from you that praises dnet, at all.
> If you don't like the project, and don't want to help,   find another
> project.  Dnet was the first distributed computing organization of it's
> kind.   But currently there is a broad scope of choices available to
> you.

DNET is the choice for me.  Crypto is what I prefer.  OGR is not.  If I
was do that math type... I would prefer prime or pi calculations.  I would
like to see DNET be better.

> No matter what the 'official' reply is to one of your suggestion, you
> turn it into a 50 post argument.  It's pathetic.  It looks good for
> neither party.  You seem hell-bent on proving some dnet volunteer
wrong.
> It doesn't seem to matter which volunteer it is,  you treat them all
> equally, and all like trash.

Maybe if 'official' was not so damn canned.  Like ask "when OGR 24 will
be done?"  we really do not know.  See: http://www.distributed.net/ogr/
see the top news item of OGR 24 officially restarted and begins OGR
25!!  Yup that is July 13, 2000.

Yes, they volunteers - that is thrown at us too.  And so are we.  It is hard
to get new people to join these project when what is visible is so out of
date at the official site.  When after 3 years, it is still being done the "old
way" so it limits client machine choice.  When suggestions dumped upon
for being to hard or insecure - when we are testing / showing security
being insecure in a time frame... yet we leave blocks in the open
harddrives.

> Instead of getting so hostile over one project,  find one that suits you
> and your politics.   These forums aren't your personal battle grounds
> for the dnet staff.

I have - I just wish they would grow and not be stuck in 1998.   RC5 is
the grounds to talk about RC5, to talk about ways to improve, manager,
use, issues with, or any else RC5.   It does break down from time - like
talking about my kids and their enjoyment of press buttons that make
lights blink--- and network/machine crash.  But even that started with
RC5.

> Having said my peace, I'll happily add this thread to my procmail
> filters.
> If that doesn't suffice,  I'll just add JackB to it.
{ref Jeff - please do. }
{ref Jeff - please do. }Please do what you fell you need to.  I will continue with what I feel I
need to do.

jackb
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net