[RC5] DNet questions (repost)

Timothy Marsh Timothy.Marsh at usm.edu
Sun Oct 6 17:30:53 EDT 2002

    It seems to me to be possible to create a parent/child application, the
question is whether or not it would actually be beneficial in our case.  The
dnet client as it stands right now is very compact and efficient (thanks to
the hard work from dnet staff).  Creating a parent/child form of the
application would definitely create more overhead and the only benefit would
be...?  When dnet begins a new project they typically recode a new client
using some code from previous clients that doesn't need to change and
writing new code to fit the project.  Then they and others work meticulously
to compact the code and make it more stable and efficient.  It seems to me
that creating the parent application would be of little help. As I see them,
parent applications keep coders from having to recode from scratch every
time they want to add something, but in dent's case, the application is so
specialized that most of the code has to be rewritten anyway for optimum
performance.  I would think that the parent application would only increase
overhead and reduce the ability to optimize the program.
    I do believe this type of application may be more useful for other types
of applications such as the ones that deal with medical applications, etc.
But the parent application may not be as ideal as thought of below.  A
"medical experiment, a math experiment"  could not just be inserted into the
parent application.  Software would have to be developed that not only
performed the experiment (preferably in a highly parallel fashion), but
would also have to be tailored to use the "hooks" in the parent application,
which may also require some understanding of the parent program and
distributed computing in general.

Timothy