[RC5] OGR motivations/achievements in general

Bruce Wilson bwilson at distributed.net
Wed Oct 9 14:45:53 EDT 2002

Because of the nature of the bug, if the ruler is truncated once, it
will be truncated every time.  Unfortunately, this means we will be
discarding essentially all 2nd pass work with existing clients.  (sigh -
I hate giving bad news).

Again, this is to the best of my knowledge - I am not a coder for OGR,
and I don't know all the details, I am merely echoing what I understand
from discussions on IRC.

We have from time to time gone over the work received and updated the
keymaster's maps for which workunits have not yet been received, in an
effort to make the most of the work being handed out.  (No sense handing
it out again if we already have one apparently valid result).  Like our
other projects, the new-work-return rate has declined and the
duplicate-work rate has increased the closer we get to the end, but
there is still a significant percentage of work not yet received back
for the first time.

__

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.