[RC5] just curious

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at rug.ac.be
Tue Oct 22 17:48:58 EDT 2002

On dinsdag, okt 22, 2002, at 16:35 Europe/Brussels, Earl
'<--Havoc--{{{' Stenlund wrote:

> I was just curious if the list was still working? I haven’t gotten any
> mail on it in 3 days.

There wasn't any afaik. But it's quite possible that a lot of people
won't get any mail from it anymore, because the mailing list server
(216.76.43.190) is now in spews (http://www.spews.org/html/S1481.html),
a spam blacklist. The reason is not that distributed.net has been
spamming, but one of their "neighbours" called apexmarketinginc.com has
been doing it and apparently their ISP refuses to take action against
them (so they try to pressure the ISP to take action by including other
IP-addresses that belong to them, hoping that other customers of this
ISP will complain about the resulting reduced email connectivity).

Just a small note: spews itself does not block anyone or anything, but
there are a lot of people that block all mail coming from servers whose
ip-address is in spews, because they think that the reduction in spam
outweighs the (known) collateral damage that is associated with it.

Jonas
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net