[RC5] just curious

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at rug.ac.be
Tue Oct 22 21:45:53 EDT 2002

On dinsdag, okt 22, 2002, at 20:29 Europe/Brussels, Jason Hartzell
wrote:

> I've been a victim of SPEWS misdirection as well. Nothing like having
> all
> corporate Internet Activity shutdown by your ISP (which will soon be
> changed) due to a mis-identification on SPEWS.

They are not mis-identifications. SPEWS clearly states they are a
private blocking list of some people that has gone public so that other
people can use it as well. If you use SPEWS, you should know that you
will block mail from innocent bystanders in certain cases (if you
don't, then you haven't informed yourself enough). They nowhere state
that their list always only contains IP-addresses used exclusively
spammers.

> I hate spam as much as anyone, but the treatment is worse than the
> disease.

This is a pure personal (or in some cases, business, when you business
decides that the trade-off between missing some legitimate mail and
carrying a lot less spam is worth it) decision. It's definitely not a
cure/treatment for the spamming problem, it's a last-line defense
because there are few other effective measures you can take against
spam and spam supporters (SPEWS is mainly a list to target spam
supporters: ISP's that don't take action against their spamming
customers will quickly find large parts of their address space in
SPEWS). I agree with you it's very unfortunate and annoying that the
spamming problem has run so much out of hand that people are actually
using such drastic measures, but again, it's their decision to (not) do
it.

Jonas

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net