[RC5] Removing Stats?

Christopher Hicks chicks at chicks.net
Fri Sep 27 08:23:54 EDT 2002

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, Dave Huang wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, Carl Inglis wrote:
> > But that's the point - they weren't "done for the project". The project
> > had finished the moment the winning key was found.
>
> In the past, when a buggy client turned in unusable/incorrect results,
> the person submitting the blocks was still credited, since it wasn't
> their fault that the client returned useless data. How is this any
> different?

I agree totally.  Furthermore, there seems to be no real result other than
irritating the installed base from trimming the stats back.  I've watched
the dnet team catch undeserved flack many times and defended them on a few
occasions, but this time the critcisms seem pretty valid and the dnet
attitude seems shockingly short-sighted.  dnetguys - do you really want to
tork off a bunch of stats junkies by making their recent efforts moot?
What is the point?  I for one have doubled my keyrate since July.  I put a
lot of time into getting all of my machines running the latest client and
adding new machines.  The only thing I have to show for all that effort is
the pretty little graph in stats.  Taking away my pretty little graph does
nothing to say "we solved it in less time than he worked on it".  Ugh!

--
</chris>

Camels may be nasty beasts, but they're the only way to get through the
desert.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net