[RC5] Removing Stats?

Gustav_Schaffter at capgroup.com Gustav_Schaffter at capgroup.com
Fri Sep 27 18:49:37 EDT 2002

> People, Distributed.net stats don't give you longer life, make you a
better
> person, raise your status in society, or make you more attractive to the
> opposite sex.

Oh yes, it does. (Hm, maybe not a longer life, then.)

> The contest is over, the winner is the one with the key.  Does the fact
> that you may be 6034th in stats vs. 6033th make *any* difference?

Not to you, maybe not to me neither, but to a lot of people it actually
does. Do you frown upon that? It's your right to. But if too many people
openly frown upon that, these people will (and some have) find another
project where the stats have more status.

You may feel you "don't need those people". But a distributed computer
project doesn't primarily need people, it needs processor cycles.
Regardless (within certain limits) of the owners reasons for participation.
Loosing processor cycles for a disagreement in what is important will only
hurt the project.

IMHO, not fully understanding that is the weakest part of the RC5 project
management sofort. And I believe that with another approach vs less 'geeky'
participants, many more would participate in the RC5 and related projects.
Participation==providing processor cycles.

> Rejoice in that the key was found!
I do. :-) I think we all do.

> Look forward to RC5-72, then bitch about stats again.
You bet. The 'bitching', that is. ;-)

> If people are so concerned about their stats, why don't they run
perproxies
> and maintain their own stats like I do?

Please, correct me if I have misunderstood how you use the perproxie,
but...

The real 'stats guys' (and gals) prefers to *compare* their stats with
other people, not with their own result x time in the past. And remember,
there are tons of processor cycles out there owned by people with none or
limited knowledge of computing. (For instance, installing the dnetc client
on a Win-32 PC doesn't require a whole lot of knowledge.) These people will
not build their own routines for maintaining dnetc stats. Missing out on
these peoples processor cycles because they don't feel they have the right
or enough feed-back is unlucky. Again, IMHO.

> // Andrew MacKenzie  |  http://www.edespot.com
> // Codito, ergo sum

Regards
Gustav