[RC5] Re: Removing Stats?

Steve Bennett me at stevage.com
Sat Sep 28 04:21:39 EDT 2002

My take on it all:

I worked on rc5 (56 and 64) years ago under one email address.  In early
september, just after getting my new computer, I install the dnet client and
have been enjoying it work away, and watching my stats accumulate, all under
a new one.  As of yesterday, I no longer exist to dnet.  All the work I did
has been deleted, purged, expunged.

To say that I wasn't a participant because the solution had already been
found is ridiculous.  It's the same as saying every participant who didn't
find the key was doing nothing, because they were checking the wrong part of
the keyspace.

How dnet (or more accurately, the one geek who made this decision) could
have made such a colossal mistake is difficult to understand.  Their entire
essence of being is encouraging people to donate their CPU cycles in return
for a feeling that they're achieving something.  And here, dnet turns around
and says that their contribution to the project after July was zero.

The *only* thing any of us has ever gotten out of contributing to d.net's
effort, in whatever form (installing the client, telling friends, reporting
bugs etc) has been showing up in the stats database.  Oh, and a 1 in 500,000
(for me) chance of winning $1000.  Take that away and you're biting the hand
that feeds you.

>From a pure statistical point of view, I don't understand the rationale
anyway.  They were trying to measure how much work was done by their
clients, well, measure up until the end.  The clients didn't stop doing work
in July.  The amount of work required before the solution turned up is a
less relevant measure, imho.

Let's just hope d.net *very quickly* realises what a stupid blunder it's
made and repairs the damage with a public apology.

Disgusted.  Like the rest of you.

Steve