[RC5] Removing Stats?

Ryu odjmico2 at wanadoo.fr
Fri Sep 27 21:25:14 EDT 2002

Nothing more to add, you got it ;)

-----Message d'origine-----
De : owner-rc5 at lists.distributed.net
[mailto:owner-rc5 at lists.distributed.net]De la part de
Gustav_Schaffter at capgroup.com
Envoye : vendredi 27 septembre 2002 12:04
A : rc5 at lists.distributed.net
Objet : Re: [RC5] Removing Stats?

The main objective for the project is to solve the problem.

For that, mainly two resources must exist.

- The project organization with a technical infrastructure
- Participants

Many participants, like it or not, participate more for the stats than for
the project outcome as such. If anyone else in the project likes that or
not is irrelevant. The reason for anyone to participate must be his/her own
business. What counts is participation and processor cycles.

So, there are stats hungry people out there. They do participate, and they
*sometimes* do it with more commitment than people participating primarily
to solve the problem. Who cares? Cause a project like RC5 *needs* all
participants it can get.

Why not start appreciating the importance of stats for a large minority(?)
of the participants.

For instance, I have the impression that the seti at home project has been
very successful in attracting, and also in *keeping*, the interest for
their project. I'd say that this is largely because they have much more
than the RC5 project put in efforts in keeping the stats hungry
participants happy. Happy participants stay.

A few times during the RC5 project I have had the impression that if people
care too much about the stats, they get the unspoken message that they
could go elsewere. Well, some of them have for that very reason. Too bad
for them? I don't know. But it's certainly not good for the project.

Gustav

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net