[RC5] Other future projects

Ryan Malayter rmalayter at bai.org
Fri Sep 27 14:49:39 EDT 2002

The General Number Field Sieve algortithm (the fastest available to break RSA) is very diffucult to parallelize in its entirety. The initial "sieving" action is can be made highly parallel, but the results of that "sieving" must be stitched together on a single computer with very large memory. It took 224 CPU hours and about 3.2 Gbytes of memory on the Cray C916 at the SARA Amsterdam Academic Computer Center to solve for the 512-bit RSA challenge. Access to a single machine with much, much more memory and CPU power will be needed for the remaining RSA challenges (576 bits and above). This is probably why these contests haven't already been attacked by d.net.

Personally, I would be more interested in the ECCp131 cracking contest from Cetricom. It has prize money, is easy to implement as a nondeterministic distributed algorithm, and there is already a distributed effort underway for ECCp109 that could be used as a model.

Ryan Malayter
Sr. Network & Database Administrator
Bank Administration Institute
Chicago, Illinois, USA