[RC5] Removing Stats?

Robert A. Rosenberg dnet at rarpsl.com
Sat Sep 28 01:41:28 EDT 2002

NOTE - THIS IS A RE-SUBMISSION OF A POST I MADE FRIDAY EVENING THAT
WENT OUT UNDER AN ADDRESS THAT IS NO LONGER VALID (AND WHICH WAS NO
LONGER SUBSCRIBED TO THE LIST).

                         *****************************

At 09:51 +0100 on 09/27/2002, Carl Inglis wrote about Re: [RC5]
Removing Stats?:

>  > The project did end yesterday, because the announcement was made that
>>  the key was found.
>
>The goal of this project was to find the key. Therefore the projected
>ended when its goal had been achieved and the key found. This was
>14/07/2002. If the goal of the project had been to produce the stats,
>then you might well be justified in feeling cheated.

If they want to Rewrite History to cover up for their failure to tell
the participants FOR TWO MONTHS that the challenge was over, then
publish the REAL stats (as of this week) and the "REVISIONIST" stats
(Marked "As of Key being found on 14Jul2002") as separate Databases.

>>  Some people did RC5 for fun or for stats, and d.net used those peoples'
>>  cycles, and doesn't want to give credit for that since 07/14 now. Now
>>  how sick is that?
>
>It's not sick at all. Would you be whining if the key had been found 2
>days ago and they were removing the last two days worth of stats?

That is a separate situation. On that case, the "last 2 days" can
validly be deleted due to the "processing delay" in spotting the
submission. That fact that DNET knew that the key had been found BUT
KEPT THE CHALLENGE RUNNING (and accepting new failure reports) is not
the same as you proposed scenario.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net