[RC5] Removing Stats?

Blain Nelson blainn13 at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 27 23:33:44 EDT 2002

9/27/2002 9:41:44 PM, "Robert A. Rosenberg" <dnet at rarpsl.com> wrote:

>NOTE - THIS IS A RE-SUBMISSION OF A POST I MADE FRIDAY EVENING THAT
>WENT OUT UNDER AN ADDRESS THAT IS NO LONGER VALID (AND WHICH WAS NO
>LONGER SUBSCRIBED TO THE LIST).
>

>                         *****************************
>

>AAt 10:39 +0100 on 09/27/2002, Carl Inglis wrote about Re: [RC5]
>Removing Stats?:
>
>>It's unfortunate that there was some sort of problem which prevented the
>>staffers from verifying the find (ping DNet staffers - any chance of a
>>more detail explaining of the problems?) but that doesn't change the fact
>>that the project had finished.
>
>Reread the report AGAIN. The actual events were that the key was
>submitted but it took them a week or so to spot its submission. They
>then verified it, submitted it to RSA (who ALSO verified it). This
>occurred as of 14Jul2002.

Not as I understand it.  The Key was found by it's computer on 14Jul.  Then it had to get dumped in,
and sat there for about a month until it was found by hand.  At this point, the RSA folks who needed to
do the verifying were unavailable, and getting the verification took several weeks more.  The time from
14 July until now is more or less accounted for.

> DNET then SUPPRESSED the solution
>information until this week. They KNEW and sat on the info for 2
>MONTHS. In my opinion this represents a BREACH OF TRUST between DNET
>and the Participants since IF, as you claim, the sole purpose of the
>effort is to crack the code (and the Stats are an unimportant product
>of the Effort), then WHY was the project not shut down when the key
>was found AND CONFIRMED?

My understanding is that the project was shut down when the key was found and confirmed, with a little
time for preparing press releases and the other things that come as a project ends.  It's unfortunate
that it took so much time, but it did, and that's life.

The sole purpose of the effort is to crack the code or solve the problem, or explore every option.
That doesn't mean that it's the sole purpose of anybody involved in the effort though -- it's just the
place where we all come together with a shared interest, or we wouldn't be here.  I'd love it if the
folks at dnet were there to answer every question I might have at the drop of a hat, but I'm not
willing to provide them with the financial capacity to do that, so I accept that they have other things
in their life, just like I do.  From what I can see, there is room for those who want to donate more
time and effort and skill to the administration of the system here.  I don't have the background to do
that.  Perhaps you do.

I don't know what else is going to make this thing run any more the way we want it to.  The folks
running the system seem basically responsive to the desires of the people participating in the project
within some constraints of reality.  I appreciate this and wish them well.

You also.  Thanks for helping out in the project.

Take care,
Blain

--
( ) ASCII ribbon campaign