[RC5] Removing Stats?

Jim C. Nasby jim at nasby.net
Sun Sep 29 22:42:02 EDT 2002

On Sat, Sep 28, 2002 at 12:41:44AM -0400, Robert A. Rosenberg wrote:
> AAt 10:39 +0100 on 09/27/2002, Carl Inglis wrote about Re: [RC5]
> Removing Stats?:
>
> >It's unfortunate that there was some sort of problem which prevented the
> >staffers from verifying the find (ping DNet staffers - any chance of a
> >more detail explaining of the problems?) but that doesn't change the fact
> >that the project had finished.
>
> Reread the report AGAIN. The actual events were that the key was
> submitted but it took them a week or so to spot its submission. They
> then verified it, submitted it to RSA (who ALSO verified it). This
> occurred as of 14Jul2002. DNET then SUPPRESSED the solution
> information until this week. They KNEW and sat on the info for 2
> MONTHS. In my opinion this represents a BREACH OF TRUST between DNET
> and the Participants since IF, as you claim, the sole purpose of the
> effort is to crack the code (and the Stats are an unimportant product
> of the Effort), then WHY was the project not shut down when the key
> was found AND CONFIRMED?

Actually, you are the one who needs to re-read the report.

July 12th: success log was checked; we hadn't found the key
July 14th: winning key was submitted
Mid August: success log was checked again. A day or two later, RSA was
notified

So, we only held the announcement for 1 month, while working with RSA on
the press release. As someone else mentioned, RSA mandates coordinated
announcement of the win. I don't know that they would have withheld the
money had we announced before them, but it certainly wouldn't have made
us very popular with them.
Jim C. Nasby (aka Decibel!)                    jim at nasby.net

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net