[RC5] client versions - AIX

stvernaillen at ge.cokecce.com stvernaillen at ge.cokecce.com
Mon Sep 30 18:02:55 EDT 2002

All,
I have a few AIX 4.3.3 systems running dnet on the below client version and
apparently working ok.

dnetc v2.8012-465-CTR-01010219 for AIX (AIX 4.1).
Using email address (distributed.net ID) 'x at x.x'

[Sep 30 12:42:36 UTC] OGR: using core #1 (GARSP 5.13 PowerRS).
[Sep 30 12:42:36 UTC] OGR: Loaded 25/1-4-12-13-9-10 (120.53 Gnodes done)
[Sep 30 12:42:36 UTC] OGR: 0 packets remain in buff-in.ogr
[Sep 30 12:42:36 UTC] OGR: 0 packets are in buff-out.ogr
[Sep 30 12:42:36 UTC] 1 cruncher has been started.

As with the finishing of RC-5 it seemed like a good time to review the
clients for possible upgrades.
However the latest AIX version on the website is

AIX    PPC+POWER    v2.8009.460    2000-05-30

So I have a later client then the latest available...
Now ( strange as it might seem) this rings a bell to me.
Somewhere deep in memory I vaguely remember the following events.

- I updated systems to 2.8012 to fix a bug ( it had a workaround i beleive
adding " -numcpu  0"....)
- it turns out  there is a  major bug with the new version , to do with
OGR, newest client is withdrawn by Dnet
- I do not downgrade as i only worked on RC5, so not impacted, and 1
smaller bug still solved. ( as protest for lack of OGR24 status update,
still waiting...)

Can somebody tell me if
- this is true about the OGR bug in v2.8012.465 ? ( thus invalidating
theses systems work)
- the v2.8009.460 client is ok / OGR capable ? ( if, no , making these
systems useless as dnet clients)
- we can expect an upgraded AIX client anytime (rc-72 or not)?

sidenote: Anybody any experience with running the Linux client on AIX 5L ,
I don't have any system available (yet)?
This would eliminate the need for an up to date AIX client in the mid-long
run...allthough the available linux-ppc version is even older then the AIX
one...

Stan

This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which
it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential and
privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader
any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is
please contact the sender immediately and delete it from your system.
Thank you

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net