[RC5] AMD X86-64 port

Scott Dodson sdodson at eagle4.cc.gasou.edu
Sun Apr 27 15:35:01 EDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-04-27 at 14:13, Karl wrote:
> > One of the core guys (Acidblood) is raving about the new chip.  I'm
> > pretty sure he thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread.  So
> > there's definitely interest internally.
> >

> I'm most interested to see what those extra registers in 64-bit mode can do
> for RC5-72 performance.

Acidblood has said that the simple fact of being 64-bit won't help, and
I think he even said it would harm it.  The operations of rc5 are
particularly friendly to 32bit processors, I believe he mentioned the
modulo operations work really well on 32bit processors.  But of course,
if the new Opteron is overall a faster processor, it should surely go
faster.  The fact that it runs 32bit code pretty well should be
interesting too.

--
Scott
sdodson at distributed.net