[RC5] Preventing Flushing

Jim C. Nasby decibel at distributed.net
Sat Aug 2 10:50:32 EDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 03:17:48PM +0200, Ray Booysen wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I run a personal proxy on my network and am leaving for a three week
> trip.  Knowing the windows version of the proxy, it doesn't flush and
> fetch when a internet connection is detected (I have a dial-up
> connection). I therefore have fetched enough work for my clients for the
> 3 week period.  I don't want to return and spend hours flushing the work
> from the proxy.  I would rather flush the client buffers using the email
> facility.
>
> Therefore, the question I pose is this: Is there a way to prevent the
> client from flushing the work but still allow the client to fetch work
> from the personal proxy?

I'm not sure if there is, but why do you think it will take hours to
flush your pproxy? Each workunit takes something like 120 bytes on the
wire, so even if you're on a modem it would require having a pretty huge
amount of work stored up to take even a single hour to flush it.

Flushing by email on the other hand requires base-64 encoding the buffer
files. This will almost certainly be larger in size than sending the
work via the pproxy.
Jim C. Nasby, Database Consultant                  jim at nasby.net