[RC5] Re: Does Intel hyperthreading help?

Karl kjb at clara.net
Wed Aug 20 22:36:38 EDT 2003

> I've found that running DNetC on one thread works best.
> On a P4 3.06GHz processor, I get about 4.1 million keys/sec.
> Having the second thread available allows me to do other
> things with my PC, without impacting my keyrate (email,
> web, CD ripping, etc.),  Of course, 1GB of DDR RAM helps,
> too :)

The Pentium 4 is a very poor processor for RC5. I believe it is due to
Intel omitting a barrel shifter from the design. In contrast my 2.3 GHz
Athlon delivers around 7.3 Mkeys/sec.

 The ultimate Dnet machine would have to be the new dual 2.0 GHz PPC Mac
which should be good for at least 36 Mkeys/sec.

Karl