[RC5] Hacked!

Robert A. Rosenberg dnet at rarpsl.com
Sat Aug 23 14:53:01 EDT 2003

At 13:44 -0500 on 08/22/2003, Jeff Lawson wrote about Re: [RC5] Hacked!:

>We actually do have server-side techniques now (in both RC5-72 and OGR)
>to detect and identify participants that appear to be operating fraudulent
>clients by comparing incremental checks from successive results.

I hope these checks (unlike the Yesterday's Rank Calculations in
Stats) take into account how long it has been (in days) since the
last upload. The "Blocks Submitted as Done" computations (for speed
measurement and hacking spotting) are going to be misleading unless
they are adjusted to account for how many days the upload appears to
represent (I do not know if the WU records have an individual
time-stamp that could assist in tracking the "done on" date when a
upload is done that represents multiple days of cracking). IOW, a
once-weekly upload will raise red flags as a hacker if the rate is
assume to be a daily rate.