[RC5] 0.060 completion of rc5-72

Ralph W. Reid rreid at sunset.net
Sun Dec 7 03:56:50 EST 2003

About a year ago, some people were grumbling because the RC5-72 space
was not going to be exhausted for over 3,000 years.  Any bets on
where this project will be about a year from now?

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 11:10:02PM -0700, Victor A. Wagner, Jr. released:
> there were many chips w/ less than 100 transistors back then
> At Saturday 2003-11-29 23:06, you wrote:
>
> >On Saturday, Nov 29, 2003, at 19:24 Asia/Hong_Kong, ?????? wrote:
> >
> >>Okey, at current speed it would be nearly 1200 years to complete, but...
> >>
> >>Moore's law
> >>More than 25 years ago, when Intel was developing the first
> >>microprocessor,
> >>company cofounder Gordon Moore predicted that the number of transistors
> >>on a
> >>microprocessor (and computing power) would double approximately every 18
> >>months. To date, Moore's law has proven remarkably accurate.
> >
> >I'm not so sure about the 'number of transistors' bit though (25 years is
> >about 17 18-month periods, and if transistors on a chip is, say, 10
> >million, that would mean under 100 transistors when Moore made such a
> >prediction).
> >
> >I don't think you can do much with 100 transistors.
> >
> >- Purr
> >

> Victor A. Wagner Jr.      http://rudbek.com
> The five most dangerous words in the English language:
>               "There oughta be a law"

rreid at sunset.net  http://personalweb.sunset.net/~rreid
Opinions herein are either mine or they are flame bait.
COSEC (x) / SEC (x) = (COTAN (x) / TAN (x)) ^ 2