[RC5] Still the 406 in statistics (and how to solve it !)

Dennis Lubert plasmahh at gmx.net
Thu Dec 11 04:19:24 EST 2003

Hello People,

there is still the annoying 406 Page when trying to view the statistics page.

I suppose the reason is quite easy to fix. Apache tries to negotiate with
the browser which language to use. e.g. when going to www.distributed.net
it chooses index.php.de for me, since my browser asks for german. When
trying to load /statistics/ apache tries to find index.html.de but this is
not there, only index.html.en. Therefore it refuses with a 406.

More can be found on
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.1/mod/mod_negotiation.html at the
ForceLanguagePriority descsription.

So the best option would be to add a

LanguagePriority en fr de
ForceLanguagePriority Prefer
ForceLanguagePriority Fallback

to the servers config. This causes the server to choose the language with
the highest priority if the browser accepts multiple languages (that are
availbable as pages), or if no acceptable file is available, it displays
the existing one with the highest priority.

greets

Dennis

Carpe quod tibi datum est