[RC5] abandoning dnet :(

Elektron elektron_rc5 at yahoo.ca
Sat Dec 20 00:00:37 EST 2003

On Saturday, Dec 20, 2003, at 12:04 Asia/Hong_Kong, chandler
sobel-sörenson wrote:

> Well after being an active member of dnet for nearly 5 years, I am
> sorry to
> say I will be moving my computing power over to the drug design
> optimization
> lab (d2ol.com).  fortunately they only have clients for
> win/mac/solaris/linux so I will still be doing some work for dnet :)
> however, I have decided this is a better cause for my idle cpu time,
> and
> just wanted to share it with the rest of you.

Their client seems to be java, which means it should run on any
platform. It also means that it runs far slower than it would if it was
written in C, and C code is portable enough as it is, since it's only
numbercrunching anyway.

I also have a policy to distrust anything which requires an installer
(not that you can't install things with a normal program anyway, but
having an installer implies that somebody wants to bury files in my
system, which is unnecessary).

And then, it doesn't actually say where the results go. But I guess
that's just me being cynical.

- Purr