[RC5] RC5-72

Jim C. Nasby decibel at distributed.net
Tue Dec 30 10:48:10 EST 2003

The issue is that I recently setup the web pages with a 30(?) second
timeout on the database connection. I did this because during certain
parts of the statsrun some pages/queries will block, so with no timeout
the system eventually fills up with nothing but people waiting for those
queries.

There are two problems with this:

- Since I'm not much of a PHP person, I couldn't figure out how to
  differentiate between the different database errors and provide a
  better error message on timeout.

- There should also be a way to over-ride the timeout on a per-page
  basis so that the static pages that are called and then cached won't
  timeout (since there should never be any lock contention when they are
  called).

It would be helpful if participants would submit patches for these (and
any other) bugs. You can grab tarballs of the source code at
http://cvs.distributed.net. stats-html is the web code; stats-proc is
the processing code, and stats-sql is other database stuff. If you want
to get a database up and running you'll also want a copy of postgresql
and some pproxy logs. If you do get stats-proc running locally, please
document the steps you took and any changes you had to make and send
them to me.

Even if you don't want to bother with installing a copy of stats,
untested patches are always welcome.